A Relay Race is a fun game that gets your whole ESL / EFL class using new vocabulary and language targets quickly. By emphasizing cooperation and more importantly fun, a Relay Race is all but guaranteed to be a class favorite.
- The only materials you’ll need are a few vocabulary cards. Pretty much any topic will work.
- A Relay Race works best with a larger class. Ideally 20 – 30 students.
- Depending on how many variations of the game are used, it should take between 5 and 10 minutes to set up and execute this ESL game.
- Introduce your lessons target language. E.g. “I like cookies“.
- Divide your class into equal teams.
- Have each team form a straight line. Students should be standing about an arm’s length away from each other.
- Give the first student in each line a vocabulary card. Students will have to pass the vocabulary card to the next student in the line while using the target language.
- The first team to pass the card from the front of the line to the back of the while making sure each student uses the target language wins.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 several times while increasing the complexity of the game.
If you want to make the game more difficult you can add personalization, questions, and answers (“What do you like?”, “I like cookies“.), more complex language targets, etc.
If you like Relay Race you’ll also love this other Easy ESL Game. We call it Watermelon Race.