ESL Game #010 was a preposition chant that helps your students learn 7 basic prepositions quickly by using a total physical response method for language learning. This ESL game is a great follow up activity that helps you reinforce the newly learned language immediately after teaching it.
The only materials required to play Listen and Draw are a pencil and paper. A stuffed animal doesn’t hurt either.
After your class has learned the 7 basic prepositions (on, in, under, next to, between, in front and behind) by using the Preposition Chant they are ready to test out their new English.
Start by writing the sentence: “The monkey is on the desk” on the white board in your classroom.
At this point I usually pick up a prop (toy monkey) move it around to see if the class can use the sentence. If you don’t have any toys it’s no problem you can use literally anything as a replacement.
Start by putting the monkey on the desk and say “The monkey is on the desk.” Next, move the toy monkey under the desk and wait for the class to say “The monkey is under the desk.” Repeat this several times until you are confident that your ESL students have grasped the target language.
How to play:
- Have your students take out a piece of paper and ask them to draw a monkey in the middle of the page.
- Then, tell your ESL class that “the monkey is on an apple.”
- Next, instruct your students to draw “the apple is between two bananas.”
- Next, ask the class to draw “the monkey is under a girl.”
- Then, say “the girl is next to an elephant.”
- Then, say “a heart is in front of the apple.“
- Finally, tell your ESL students that “a mountain is behind everything.”
Once your class has completed the activity invite students to come to the front of the class and draw the various pictures and prepositions on the white board.
Obviously, all of the pictures are interchangeable. If you know your students love Mickey Mouse, by all means, make sure to include him.
*To keep Listen and Draw to 15 minute maximum time, I like to set a 30 second timer for each new picture the students draw. Otherwise this ESL / EFL game can end up taking a real long time to execute.