Little Hints is an ESL guessing game that helps you introduce, use and review vocabulary while using soft correction to subtly model your target language.
The only materials you’ll need are a few vocabulary cards.
For this example I’m using animal cards. The target language is “is it a __________?”. The answer is either “Yes, it is” or “No, it isn’t”.
How to play this ESL guessing game:
- Hold the vocabulary cards facing you.
- Pick a card (let’s say Elephant).
- Give Little Hints about that card.
- Ex-> It’s big, it’s grey, it has a long nose, etc.
- As your ESL / EFL students are trying to guess what the card is you can add some target language. I will often say “is it a bird?” “Is it a rhino?” Just to frame the language. While answering there guesses with the target response, “Yes, it is” or “No, it isn’t”.
- When a student guesses the correct card and answers using the target language “is it an elephant?” hand them the vocabulary card as a point.
- Repeat the game a few times and then let students take turns being the teacher.
This guessing game is extremely simple for both ESL / EFL teachers and students. It works great as a warm-up and/or later on in your lesson. Give it a try and let us know if you can think of any other great ways to engage a class.