Mustache Smash – A great game for Reading, Listening & Speaking
The Details About Mustache Hammer Smash:
- The only materials required to play this game are the plungers from the game Mustache Smash. You can find the game on Amazon with a quick search. quick search. If you're in a pinch and can't wait for the game to be delivered, you can easily substitute the plungers with a plastic hammers, stuffed toys or even just get your students to use their hands.
- In this example we're using our LEEP Cards to teach the alphabet. You can download a set of LEEP Cards Here. If you can't find any toy hammers you can just use your hands instead.
- This game works best with lower level students about 10 and younger,
- A game of Mustache Smash takes between 5 and 10 minutes.
In this example we are teaching the Phonetic Alphabet as our topic. And "Ah Ah Apple" as our Target Language.
Here's How To Play
1. Pre-teach the vocabulary cards. For this lesson it’s assumed the children have already learned the phonetics sounds of A, B, and C.
2. Give Mustache plungers to all of your students.
3. Put all of your vocabulary cards in a circle on the floor .
4. Ask your students to stand up and walk around the circle.
5. Set a random timer.
6. Say the phonic sound associated with a letter. “ah-ah-apple”.
7. When the timer goes off the first student to hit the correct card with their Mustache Plunger gets a point. The plunger makes it easy to tell who wins because their card will be stuck to their plunger.
Mustache Hammer Smash:
- It's about as simple as a classroom game can get.
- It's very adaptable and will work with almost any lower level topic and/or target language.
- It works!