This ESL Game is a twist on the classic ESL game Charades. In Charades, Students act out a word or phrase without speaking while their classmates try to guess what it is. Charades is a great game for kids. But sometimes in high school and adult classes, charades gets a little uncomfortable.
Hieroglyphics is the perfect solution!
The Details About Hieroglyphics
- This game works with any class size.
- It's a great alternative to charades that works very well in high school or adult lessons.
- The only materials you'll need are a marker and a whiteboard
How To Play
- I usually don't even introduce this game. I find a short phase that uses the lesson's target language and then I write one diagonal dash on the board for each word in the phrase.
- Start drawing pictures that represent the first word in your puzzle. Your students will figure out what you're trying to do almost immediately.
- After your class guesses the first word, move on to the second one.
- Repeat until your class has solved the puzzle. After your students solve the puzzle, split them into teams, remove yourself from the game and repeat the activity.
- I works great with any size of class.
- There's almost no materials required
- It's just about as simple as a classroom game can get.